Skip to main content

The Double Edged Sword of Applicability

One of the most common questions I have heard in the context of Bible classes and small group discussions is "How does this apply to us?" Or it comes in a comment like "I think this applies to my life by..." Generally speaking, if a sermon or lesson is not obviously "applicable" then it isn't considered good. If the topic does not have something to say specifically about my life, struggles, situation, or context then it is of no use.

Applicability is a double edged sword, in my opinion. We obviously want the lessons and sermons we hear in church or the devotional books we read at home to speak to our lives. Every time I teach or preach I want the people I am speaking to come away with something that helps them in their walk with Christ. I want to be "applicable."

The double edge is that I think we too narrowly and selfishly use the term "applicable," hence my use of quotes. When someone complains that a lesson or sermon isn't "applicable," I often find that it is because it doesn't directly address their personal situation. What was given could be of immense value to someone else or be about a general topic that needs to be spoken about, but it wasn't aimed at ME specifically.

Applicability is not a bad thing, in fact it is good, but our near idolatrous quest for it has truly hindered our spiritual growth. The quest to be "applicable" has led to many churches and teachers avoiding essential theology in favor of topics that pander to specific groups, topics that need to be rooted in biblical teaching in order for them to make sense. If I cannot take a tidbit from the sermon or lesson and incorporate it into my ongoing life then it is a failure.

So, we don't talk about the Trinity, or Incarnation, or Final Judgment, or even the Cross very much because it isn't "applicable" or "practical." Churches avoid deep discussion about theology and the Bible because it "doesn't help people where they are." Instead we put on marriage classes, parenting seminars, and even ways to resist the culture discussions. 

Are these things bad? By no means! The problem is not a marriage class, for example, but the fact that we skip the deeper foundations that the biblical picture of marriage is based on. We try to build a structure without laying the foundation first. In Ephesians 5 Paul paints a striking image of marriage, basing the union of man and wife on the union of Christ and the Church. This is a deeply theological text that is loaded in imagery and symbolism about marriage that depends on a deep understanding of the mystery of Christ and his Church.

To properly and deeply understand what Paul is saying about marriage you must first really understand who Jesus is and what the Church is. We must understand the nature of salvation, the way Christ wields authority, and what it means to love and submit as shown by Christ. Once we establish these foundations we can then talk about how marriage reflects this deeper reality. The problem is that skip the first part and start talking about marriage, or some other "relevant" topic, without challenging our biases and presuppositions with who God is and what God has done.

All of the "applicable" topics, which are important to discuss, depend on having a firm foundation and focus on Christ. Our desire to have all our lessons and sermons be about us is problematic precisely because the Christian faith is not about us. It isn't about how we can fit God or church or the Bible into our story, but rather how we fit into God's.

This is the real crux of the matter. Is my faith primarily about me or God? Is faith something I have because it is beneficial to me or because I desire God? When we make applicability, selfishly defined, the standard I think what we are saying is that this is really about me and my situation. If this church or topic cannot help me the way I want to be helped then it isn't worth it.

However, if my faith is truly about longing for God and trusting in Christ what could be more applicable than learning of the mysteries of the Divine? What could enrich my life more than delving into the character and nature of our God? The more I learn of God and what God has done the more I see how I am called to live. As our outlook, mind, and entire being is shaped into conformity with Christ it is going to spill over into our marriages, parenting, finances, relationship with our culture, and everything else we deal with. Nothing will be able to stop it.

The idol at the center of our obsession with applicability is, as per usual, ourselves. If learning more about who God is doesn't seem "practical" to you, then I dare to say that the problem is in your heart. Does this mean that every sermon and class should be about complex theology? No. There are issues that we deal with that the churches need to address. 

The struggle is finding the balance. If all you do is expound on complex theology and never address the lives of people you're missing the point. Theology, deep Bible study, and all the rest is meant to enrich the life of the church as they live in the real world. If all you do is talk about contemporary issue after issue without rooting everything in the presence and work of Christ then you're missing the point. Nothing is more applicable than knowing God. 

So I say that applicability is a double edged sword. When used incorrectly it produces a people that are self centered and not rooted in God. When used correctly it produces a people who are rooted in Christ, empowered by the Spirit, growing towards the Father, and able to face the challenges of life robustly and confidently. So I pray that all of us and our churches are applicable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thankful

Today is Thanksgiving, the day that we are supposed to celebrate all the things we are thankful for. It is a time of family reunions, football, and turkey eating. I sincerely pray that each and every one of you has a good day today. I'll admit that being thankful has not been easy for me this year. As pretty much all of you know, my mother passed away December of last year. Though she had been in the hospital for months, we were not expecting it. In fact I was sure she would be finally able to come home within a matter of weeks. Instead she peacefully passed on into the arms of Jesus, whom she loved more dearly than anyone else. As you can imagine, the entire family was heart broken. After what can easily be described as the worst Christmas ever, I returned to home to Illinois. It was here that I finally broke down. I spent the next months doing everything except being thankful. I cursed God, wept, screamed, begged to have her back, and was generally not the nicest person to be

Matthew, The Promised Messiah

Imagine, if you will, living as a Jewish Christian in the first century. You grew up following the Mosaic Law and have studied the Old Testament backwards and forwards. The life of the synagogue, that shared community of faith, is precious to you. It was, for the longest time, the cohesive core of your walk of faith. You grew up waiting on the promises of God to be fulfilled. Now you've heard the good news you've been waiting for; the news the entire Jewish people have been waiting for. God has acted decisively! The covenant promises made to Abraham have at last been fulfilled! The Messiah has come! Eagerly you listen to those proclaiming the Messiah, a man named Jesus from the town of Nazareth. You listen and are astounded at his life and teaching. Truly this man was a great prophet, just as Moses promised. You listen in awe as your entire concept of royalty is turned on its head, as this Jesus assumed the throne as the promised king of Israel not by war or riches but by a

Reading Aloud

What is the primary way we use Scripture today? I think the answer, at least in our society, is private reading and study. The majority of our spiritual advice can be summed up in "study the Bible more." The moral of many sermons is simply that we don't read the Bible enough. I think that this is absolutely true, but I probably mean something a little different. While I obviously agree that we, in general, don't read the Bible enough individually that isn't actually my main gripe. I think we don't read the Bible enough out loud, in community, as a part of worship. This, I think, should be a central part of our gatherings every week. We should simply read the Bible out loud and listen together in community. How much is the Bible read aloud in your gathering? I'm talking specifically about just reading, not during sermons or classes. How often is the Bible simply read without someone commenting on or explaining it? Just the Scriptures read aloud for all to h