Skip to main content

The Gift of Uncertainty

I think that most of the time we all hate being uncertain. We like stability and the comfort of being sure that we want, believe, or profess to know is true and good. We want our relationships with our friends, family, and other loved ones to be well defined. It's uncomfortable to not know where you stand with someone you care about. 

The same is true in matters of religion and faith. We like certainty, of being sure that we are on the right path or believing in the right thing. It makes us feel safe, secure, and stable when we are certain about the particulars of our faith. This is the great draw of fundamentalism and is the reason so many of the churches and Christian communities in our country could be identified as such.

There is, however, a problem with certainty. Actually, there are multiple problems with it. The first is that when a community is absolutely certain about their particular interpretations, understandings, and practices it shuts down honest questioning and seeking. Doubt becomes a chief heresy and people who doubt are seen as sinners, because doubts and questions threaten the certainty. There is no room to obey what Jude commands, to be merciful to those who doubt.

Another problem is that of factionalism, something Paul starkly warns against in 1 Corinthians. If you are absolutely certain that your position and interpretations are correct then, as a natural consequence, you believe everyone else is wrong. This leads to us assuming we are better than others, that somehow we have cracked the code while they still mill about in the darkness. At best we think those who disagree are ignorant and at worst malicious false teachers who knowingly deviate from scripture.

Having this kind of absolute certainty also leads to prioritizing the wrong things in theology and practice. The certain things inevitably end up becoming more and more important because those are the things that people are comfortable with. After all, we know for sure about that so let's talk about it more. This means we raise up secondary or even tertiary matters to the level of primary, foundational concerns. A good example from my tradition is that of instrumental music, something that really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, yet we have at times made that almost a test of being a Christian!

The answer to all this is to embrace our uncertainty. Now we need to be clear about our definitions; being uncertain does not mean being unconfident. I can be confident in my beliefs about particular matters without being absolutely certain. What's the difference? Humility. 

When we are humble we recognize several things. First, that we can learn major lessons from other people who disagree with us. Second, that our own perceptions and reasoning is biased and, as it is with everyone, distorted by sin. Third, that God works and exists beyond the limits of our understanding.

Uncertainty can be a gift because it drives us to learn more about Jesus. Should we be confident in our faith and doctrine? Yes, if it is well grounded in scripture and we have thought it through. Should we be so certain that there is nothing we can learn from other perspectives? Of course not. Being open and honest about our own uncertainty about things, though we remain confident, also makes our churches a safe place for those who have doubts and questions. 

Am I 100% certain, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Christianity is true? No. I still have struggles and questions with certain aspects of the faith. Am I extremely confident in Christianity? Absolutely. I have bet my entire life and livelihood on it because I have very good reasons to believe. Admitting this distinction is challenging, but it allows us to be honest and continue to search for truth, goodness, and beauty.

I used to think my uncertainty was a weakness, even if I was 99% sure that 1% bugged me. Now I see it as a blessing, something that the Holy Spirit is using to keep pushing me deeper into the knowledge of Jesus Christ and into relationship with the Father. It also is a huge weight off my shoulders, because it means that I don't have to be completely sure about every little matter of doctrine. I can explore the questions and doubts without risk of losing my certainty. 

So, I encourage you not to be scared of being uncertain. It is not the same thing as having no confidence in what you believe. I am highly confident in my faith in Jesus Christ, but I still have questions and occasional doubts. It wasn't easy for me to admit that to myself and to God, but once I did I was able to trust not on my own understanding but on His.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thankful

Today is Thanksgiving, the day that we are supposed to celebrate all the things we are thankful for. It is a time of family reunions, football, and turkey eating. I sincerely pray that each and every one of you has a good day today. I'll admit that being thankful has not been easy for me this year. As pretty much all of you know, my mother passed away December of last year. Though she had been in the hospital for months, we were not expecting it. In fact I was sure she would be finally able to come home within a matter of weeks. Instead she peacefully passed on into the arms of Jesus, whom she loved more dearly than anyone else. As you can imagine, the entire family was heart broken. After what can easily be described as the worst Christmas ever, I returned to home to Illinois. It was here that I finally broke down. I spent the next months doing everything except being thankful. I cursed God, wept, screamed, begged to have her back, and was generally not the nicest person to be

Matthew, The Promised Messiah

Imagine, if you will, living as a Jewish Christian in the first century. You grew up following the Mosaic Law and have studied the Old Testament backwards and forwards. The life of the synagogue, that shared community of faith, is precious to you. It was, for the longest time, the cohesive core of your walk of faith. You grew up waiting on the promises of God to be fulfilled. Now you've heard the good news you've been waiting for; the news the entire Jewish people have been waiting for. God has acted decisively! The covenant promises made to Abraham have at last been fulfilled! The Messiah has come! Eagerly you listen to those proclaiming the Messiah, a man named Jesus from the town of Nazareth. You listen and are astounded at his life and teaching. Truly this man was a great prophet, just as Moses promised. You listen in awe as your entire concept of royalty is turned on its head, as this Jesus assumed the throne as the promised king of Israel not by war or riches but by a

Reading Aloud

What is the primary way we use Scripture today? I think the answer, at least in our society, is private reading and study. The majority of our spiritual advice can be summed up in "study the Bible more." The moral of many sermons is simply that we don't read the Bible enough. I think that this is absolutely true, but I probably mean something a little different. While I obviously agree that we, in general, don't read the Bible enough individually that isn't actually my main gripe. I think we don't read the Bible enough out loud, in community, as a part of worship. This, I think, should be a central part of our gatherings every week. We should simply read the Bible out loud and listen together in community. How much is the Bible read aloud in your gathering? I'm talking specifically about just reading, not during sermons or classes. How often is the Bible simply read without someone commenting on or explaining it? Just the Scriptures read aloud for all to h