Skip to main content

Feelings

It is OK to feel what you feel. Throughout our lives we all feel a veritable plethora of different emotions. Some we consider positive and others we consider negative. Generally speaking we cannot control what it is that we feel when certain situations come up. It just sort of happens.

Still, I think all of us have experienced someone telling us what we should be feeling. "You should be excited!" or "You should be outraged!" or "You should be more sad about this." or something to a similar effect. Often times I believe that it is meant with the best of intentions, but rarely do I think those intentions are ever achieved.

When we turn to Scripture, and especially the wisdom literature of the Old Testament, we see the full gambit of human emotion in all their messy glory. We see Job struggle with guilt, rage, grief, and emptiness as he debates with his friends over the events of his life. In the Psalms we can read laments of great sorrow, exultations of great joy, and imprecatory prayers of great anger. Ecclesiastes sometimes feels like a person struggling with doubt, depression, and anxiety trying to discern purpose. The Song of Songs is a incredibly open display of love, sexual desire, and attraction. 

The biblical authors had no qualms about feeling what they felt and neither should we. Life is going to throw all sorts of twists and turns at us and we will all respond differently. You don't have to be outraged at something just because someone else is. You don't have to be excited about a big change in your life just because everyone says you should be. You are allowed to feel what you feel.

However, this is not the end of the story. We are allowed to feel what we feel, but we are not allowed to be governed by what we feel. The way I treat my neighbor is not to be dictated by my mood. I am called to love them regardless of what I'm feeling that day. The fruit of the Spirit do not become optional when I am sad or angry.

Evil actions and sin are not justified simply because of my feelings, however powerful they may be. There are times in my life where I've been so angry at someone or something where I wanted to punch them in the face. No matter how angry I become that is never an option. I must enslave my mind and emotions to Christ.

That is the key here. When reading the biblical authors and their expressions of intense emotion it is important to remember that they were written in the explicit context of expressing and entrusting them to God. The psalmists weren't just writing for kicks and giggles. They were writing to help both themselves and others take those feelings of grief, anger, emptiness, and even joy and submit them to God.

So feel what you feel. Make room for that and recognize your emotions for what they are, for it is by truly understanding what we are feeling that we are able to fully express and entrust them to God. When we have refused to allow our emotions to govern us we can instead submit to the authority of Christ.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thankful

Today is Thanksgiving, the day that we are supposed to celebrate all the things we are thankful for. It is a time of family reunions, football, and turkey eating. I sincerely pray that each and every one of you has a good day today. I'll admit that being thankful has not been easy for me this year. As pretty much all of you know, my mother passed away December of last year. Though she had been in the hospital for months, we were not expecting it. In fact I was sure she would be finally able to come home within a matter of weeks. Instead she peacefully passed on into the arms of Jesus, whom she loved more dearly than anyone else. As you can imagine, the entire family was heart broken. After what can easily be described as the worst Christmas ever, I returned to home to Illinois. It was here that I finally broke down. I spent the next months doing everything except being thankful. I cursed God, wept, screamed, begged to have her back, and was generally not the nicest person to be

Matthew, The Promised Messiah

Imagine, if you will, living as a Jewish Christian in the first century. You grew up following the Mosaic Law and have studied the Old Testament backwards and forwards. The life of the synagogue, that shared community of faith, is precious to you. It was, for the longest time, the cohesive core of your walk of faith. You grew up waiting on the promises of God to be fulfilled. Now you've heard the good news you've been waiting for; the news the entire Jewish people have been waiting for. God has acted decisively! The covenant promises made to Abraham have at last been fulfilled! The Messiah has come! Eagerly you listen to those proclaiming the Messiah, a man named Jesus from the town of Nazareth. You listen and are astounded at his life and teaching. Truly this man was a great prophet, just as Moses promised. You listen in awe as your entire concept of royalty is turned on its head, as this Jesus assumed the throne as the promised king of Israel not by war or riches but by a

Reading Aloud

What is the primary way we use Scripture today? I think the answer, at least in our society, is private reading and study. The majority of our spiritual advice can be summed up in "study the Bible more." The moral of many sermons is simply that we don't read the Bible enough. I think that this is absolutely true, but I probably mean something a little different. While I obviously agree that we, in general, don't read the Bible enough individually that isn't actually my main gripe. I think we don't read the Bible enough out loud, in community, as a part of worship. This, I think, should be a central part of our gatherings every week. We should simply read the Bible out loud and listen together in community. How much is the Bible read aloud in your gathering? I'm talking specifically about just reading, not during sermons or classes. How often is the Bible simply read without someone commenting on or explaining it? Just the Scriptures read aloud for all to h